Taco Salad with Crushed Tortilla Chips
- 1 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic pressed and divided
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/3 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 cup crushed baked tortilla chips optional
- In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble ground beef with chili powder, cumin and half of the garlic until ground beef is no longer pink.
- About half way through cooking time, add the onion and cook until soft. Drain then stir in tomato paste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together bell pepper, mixed salad greens, red onion, black olives (if desired), and Pepper Jack cheese; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, salsa, cilantro and remaining garlic; blend well and set aside. Evenly arrange salad ingredients on dinner plates; top with ground beef mixture, lime salsa, and crushed tortilla chips (if desired).
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve buttered warm corn muffins on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground beef. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher and omit the cheese or use grated soy cheese if desired. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato paste, olives (if using), salsa and tortilla chips (if using) are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 351 Calories; 5g Fat; 14g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 318mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat. Points: 3
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!