- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 28-oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 pound extra-lean ground pork
- 1/3 cup red wine or use chicken broth
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 24 jumbo-sized pasta shells cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté for 5 minutes or until soft. Add salt, pepper, tomatoes, pork and wine (or broth); sauté for 10 to 15 minutes or until pork is no longer pink.
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, egg, basil, and crushed red pepper flakes; blend well.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of tomato/pork mixture on the bottom of a large baking dish. Place 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture and 1 tablespoon of tomato/pork mixture into each shell; arrange them in a baking dish (if there is leftover cheese mixture, add more to the shells).
- Pour remaining tomato/pork mixture over the shells then top with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese; bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use chopped mushrooms instead of ground pork. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes, wine (or broth) are gluten free and use gluten free pasta shells. NUTRITION: Per Serving : 350 Calories; 26g Fat (69.8% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 110mg Cholesterol; 182mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!