Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tablespoons Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup tomato sauce divided
- 4 large green bell peppers tops removed then de-seeded and de-ribbed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup low sodium beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients (ground beef through Feta) along with half of the tomato sauce; blend well.
- Fill bell peppers with equal parts of this mixture then place them in a lightly-oiled baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining tomato sauce, the lemon juice, red onion and broth; pour mixture over the top of the bell peppers and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until peppers are fork-tender.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Stir-fried zucchini and yellow squash; add a big spinach salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add whole wheat couscous. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher and substitute soy cheese for the Feta, or omit. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Greek seasoning, broth and tomato sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 444 Calories; 8g Fat; 20g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 1112mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!