Split Pea Soup
- 2 large leeks diced (white and light green parts)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 2 medium onions diced
- 6 spicy sausages cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large crock cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or until sausages are fork-tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumber spears and whole black olives. Add some crusty bread and butter. VEGETARIAN: Omit sausages. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure sausages and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving : 182 Calories; 9g Fat (43.8% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 698mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!