Skirt Steak with Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Sauce
- 2 pounds beef skirt steak
- 5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large onions cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 pounds mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Place skirt steak on a large platter; coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil over low heat.
- Add onions; sauté for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add honey then raise heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook for 10 minutes. Add parsley; cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Preheat an indoor grill to MEDIUM. Grill steak for 5 minutes per side or until fork-tender then slice into strips and serve with caramelized onion and mushroom sauce.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baked russet potatoes and a big spinach salad. VEGETARIAN: Instead of steak, use sliced eggplant. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary. NUTRITION: Per Serving : 456 Calories; 28g Fat (54.3% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 77mg Cholesterol; 119mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!