Red Wine Tomato Spaghetti
- 1 large spaghetti squash halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons ghee divided, or use coconut oil
- 5 cloves garlic pressed, divided
- 1 medium onion chopped, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 16-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place spaghetti squash halves on a cookie sheet, cut sides down; bake until tender then set aside to cool slightly. While squash is baking, melt half of the ghee (or coconut oil) in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add half of the garlic and half of the onion and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add ground beef, season with salt and pepper then sauté for 6 to 10 minutes or until cooked through; drain off any accumulated grease and liquid.
- Melt remaining ghee (or coconut oil) in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining garlic and onion; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a slow boil then reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened. Fold in beef mixture.
- Once squash has cooled slightly, scoop out the seeds then, using a fork scrape the squash out of its shell in long, thin (spaghetti-like) strands.
- Place a large helping of squash on each dinner plate and top with sauce.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion and avocado, tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. NUTRITION: per serving: 675 Calories; 43g Fat; 35g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 145mg Cholesterol; 2095mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 5 Vegetable; 6 Fat. Points: 17
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!