Provence Style Beef Ragout
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast trimmed of excess fat
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 slices bacon roughly chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme left whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms sliced
- Season beef with salt and pepper then sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chopped bacon; cook until golden then remove from pan and set aside.
- From the same skillet, remove some of the bacon fat and replace it with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add onion, carrots and celery; lightly season with salt and pepper then cook until tender. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer skillet contents to a slow cooker. Stir in tomato paste, wine and broth; blend well. Add seasoned and floured beef.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 hours or on LOW for 10 hours. 20 minutes before serving, add the mushrooms.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker to a cutting board; shred with 2 forks then return to the slow cooker and blend with juices. Taste for seasoning before serving
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with butter, cream cheese and salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture).. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve mashed russet potatoes instead of Faux-Tay-Toes. KOSHER: Make sure beef and beef broth are certified kosher. Use turkey bacon, or skip. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten free flour and make sure bacon, wine, tomato paste and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 1040 Calories; 65g Fat; 70g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 202mg Cholesterol; 533mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!