Mushroom and Walnut Shepherd’s Pie
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup minced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic pressed, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and chopped Idaho potatoes cooked
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, half of the garlic, the tarragon, salt and pepper; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion becomes soft. Add mushrooms, walnuts and 1 cup of broth; whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan then add bay leaves.
- Bring mixture to a boil then immediately reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. In a cup, combine cornstarch and water; stir into skillet and cook until thickened; remove bay leaves then transfer mixture to a lightly-oiled 9-inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl, mash together cooked potatoes, remaining garlic, remaining broth and the Mozzarella cheese; spread over mushroom mixture and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until piping hot; serve immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed baby Brussels sprouts on the side. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten free. Use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch NUTRITION: Per Serving: 177 Calories; 6g Fat; 11g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 533mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!