Ground Beef Gyros
- 3/4 cup low fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions sliced into rings
- 3/4 pound 95% lean ground beef cooked and drained
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 whole wheat pita breads warmed
- 1 small tomato chopped
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook ground beef.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber and dill. Cover and refrigerate. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion rings and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cooked ground beef, garlic powder and oregano.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Stuff beef mixture in warmed pita breads. Serve with yogurt sauce and garnish with chopped tomato. Enjoy!!!
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, avocado, tomato and crumbled Feta cheese, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground beef. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher. Use soy yogurt. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten-free pita bread. NUTRITION: Per serving: 309 Calories; 7g Fat; 21g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 398mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!