Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 large tomato cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large eggplants cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3/4 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and garlic; saute for 5 minutes; remove from pan, set aside to cool then transfer to a blender or food processor along with the chopped basil; puree until smooth then season with salt and pepper.
- In an indoor grill pan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add eggplant; grill (in batches) for 10 minutes per side.
- Place an even portion of tomato sauce in the center of each eggplant slice and grill for another 5 minutes. Top with cheese and grill for another 2 minutes or until cheese softens.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, cucumber and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. Add some garlic toast. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 170 Calories; 8g Fat; 7g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 227mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 4 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 4
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!