Greek Style Spinach and Mushroom Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 3/4 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese optional
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, Greek seasoning and lemon zest; cook until onions have softened and spices are fragrant (5 to 7 minutes).
- Add next 8 ingredients (bell pepper through tomato sauce). Bring mixture to a boil (stirring constantly) then reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour until mushrooms are tender.
- Serve topped with crumbled Feta, if desired, and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, grape tomatoes, sliced red onion, avocado and cucumber, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. Add warm pita bread on the side. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Greek seasoning, tomato sauce and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 108 Calories; 3g Fat; 6g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1092mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 3
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!