Greek Style Green Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/4 cups green lentils picked over and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese optional
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; add next 6 ingredients (onion through black pepper); cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion and celery are soft. Add garlic and broth then stir in lentils, bay leaves and liquid smoke (if using).
- Bring soup to a boil then immediately reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. When lentils are tender, stir in kale and cook just until wilted.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with crumbled Feta, if desired, and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve whole wheat pita chips and hummus on the side; add sliced pears drizzled with honey. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Greek seasoning, broth, and liquid smoke (if using) are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 371 Calories; 3g Fat; 37g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 28g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1038mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!