Creamy Skillet Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 6-oz.
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine or use white grape juice with a splash of cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk at room temperature
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Add broth and wine (or juice/vinegar) then add garlic and sliced onion over the top. Reduce skillet heat to medium-low then sprinkle flour, salt, and pepper evenly over the sliced onion top (use a sieve to tap the flour if you’re uncertain you'll avoid lumps).
- Cover and simmer chicken for 40 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare rice. When chicken is cooked through, remove from skillet, set aside and keep warm.
- Whisk evaporated milk into the pan juices; cook for 10 minutes or until sauce is reduced to desired thickness.
- Return chicken to the skillet and turn to coat in the sauce; heat through. Serve over hot rice.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed asparagus on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties and adjust cooking time as needed. Use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Substitute coconut milk for evaporated milk. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten-free flour and make sure broth and wine (or juice/vinegar) are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 269 Calories; 7g Fat; 41g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 102mg Cholesterol; 473mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!