- 1 3/4 pounds beef chuck roast trimmed and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chilis
- 1 1/4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch optional
- 1 tablespoon water optional
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate beef cubes overnight or for at least 1 hour (see recipe). Place steak cubes in a large zipper-topped plastic bag; add seasonings (chili powder through black pepper); seal bag and shake to coat. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add beef cubes and brown for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add diced green chilies and broth and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil then stir in salsa, tomatoes and jalapenos.
- Reduce skillet heat, cover and simmer for 1 to 2 hours or until beef is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork.
- If desired, thicken the sauce with a mixture of cornstarch and water, stirring in slowly and cooking until desired thickness is reached.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve in bowls topped with chopped onion, chopped cilantro and shredded low fat Cheddar cheese. Add a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some warm corn muffins. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure diced green chilies, broth, salsa and canned tomatoes are gluten free. Use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch (if using). NUTRITION: per serving: 433 Calories; 23g Fat; 50g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 169mg Cholesterol; 835mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 7 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 12
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!