Calypso Chickpeas and Baby Spinach with Jasmine Rice
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add next 9 ingredients (garlic through black pepper) and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is soft and spices are fragrant. Stir in next 6 ingredients (garbanzo beans through broth).
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in baby spinach; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted.
- Serve over Jasmine rice, topped with chopped cilantro.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sliced pears drizzled with honey. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans and broth are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 275 Calories; 9g Fat; 7g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 561mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!