Beefy Bean Burritos
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeño
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 8 ounces dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 8 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 12 whole wheat flour tortillas warmed
- Optional toppings:
- shredded Romaine lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- diced red onion
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin and garlic and cook for 5 minutes; drain.
- Add bell pepper, onion and jalapeno; cook until bell pepper and onion are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, broth, kidney beans and black beans; stir well.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until mixture is heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve in warmed tortillas with desired toppings and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a relish tray of baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, jicama sticks and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: Use sliced white button mushrooms instead of beef. Use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher and skip dairy garnishes. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, beans and tomato sauce are gluten free. Use gluten free tortillas. NUTRITION: Per serving: 564 Calories; 19g Fat; 28g Protein; 72g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 52mg Cholesterol; 1455mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 14
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!