Beef and Zucchini Meatballs in Red Sauce
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese optional
- In a large bowl, combine first 8 ingredients (ground beef through zucchini); blend well with your very clean hands then shape into 1-inch meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; add meatballs and brown for 1 to 2 minutes on 2 sides.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, combine next 5 ingredients (tomato sauce through broth) pour mixture over meatballs and stir well. Reduce skillet heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Top with cheese, if desired, and enjoy!
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Spaghetti Squash “Noodles” (Cut squash in half lengthwise and place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven until tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Scoop out seeds then, using a fork, scrape the squash out of its shell in long, thin [spaghetti-like] strands). Add a big spinach salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Angel Hair pasta instead of Spaghetti Squash “Noodles”; add some garlic toast. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher and skip the cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce, vinegar and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 432 Calories; 11g Fat; 16g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 84mg Cholesterol; 1269mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!