Stuffed Tex Mex Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves butterflied, 6-oz.
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken in a lightly-oiled baking dish. In a small bowl, combine next 5 ingredients (cheese through red bell pepper); fill chicken with equal parts of his mixture then sprinkle the outsides with cumin and chili powder.
- In another small bowl, combine next 4 ingredients (salsa through black pepper); pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Brown rice topped with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions and cilantro; add a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties and use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Substitute soy cheese for Cheddar, or skip. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure salsa and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 212 Calories; 3g Fat; 42g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 100mg Cholesterol; 553mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!