Spicy Southwestern Beef Skewers
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic pressed, divided
- 1 pound beef chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion quartered
- 1 medium green bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and cut into 8 to 10 large “squares”
- 2 jalapeños thickly sliced
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup salsa optional
- bamboo skewers
- Aluminum foil
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large zipper-topped plastic bag, combine salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and half of the garlic; shake to combine. Add beef cubes and shake well to coat. Alternately thread beef cubes, red onion quarters, bell pepper squares and jalapeno slices onto skewers; rub with remaining garlic.
- Place skewers on a lightly oiled metal rack or trivet in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until desired level of doneness is reached.
- Serve beef skewers topped with a little warmed salsa, if desired.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste and fluff with a fork). Add a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make salsa is gluten free, if using. NUTRITION: per serving: 137 Calories; 4g Fat; 18g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 46mg Cholesterol; 613mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 3
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!