Spicy Salsa Beef with Brown Rice
- 1 pound flank steak trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion sliced
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper sliced
- 1 jalapeno de-seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook brown rice in time for dinner.
- In a medium bowl, toss together first 6 ingredients (steak strips through black pepper).
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; add steak strips and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned and cooked to desired level of doneness.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and cilantro; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add lime juice and broth and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in salsa and tomato sauce then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until veggies are tender-crisp. Serve over hot rice.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad and some warm corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties cut into strips and vegetable broth. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, salsa and tomato sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 303 Calories; 9g Fat; 21g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 38mg Cholesterol; 666mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!