Coconut Salmon Chowder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 medium stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 turnips peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked salmon
- 3 slices black pepper bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons water
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and carrots; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until onion becomes translucent. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring mixture to a low bowl then reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until turnip is soft.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine arrowroot starch and water; stir into chowder then bring to a slow boil and cook until slightly thickened. Serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. NUTRITION: per serving: 744 Calories; 53g Fat; 42g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 43mg Cholesterol; 2858mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 9 Fat. Points: 20
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!