Turkey & Vegetable Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 30 ounces navy beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, carrot and garlic; cook until tender (about 12 minutes). Add lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme and basil; stir mixture to blend well.
- Raise skillet heat to medium-high then add ground turkey, cook and crumble with a spoon until no longer pink (about 3 minutes).
- Add beans, broth, salt and pepper; bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until liquid reduces a bit and slightly thickens, stirring occasionally.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice; add a big salad and some warm corn muffins on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 340 Calories; 8g Fat; 31g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 49mg Cholesterol; 1181mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!