Three Bean with Rice Burritos
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño
- 8 ounces dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 8 ounces light red kidney beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 8 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash cayenne pepper or more, depending on your heat tolerance
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 6 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook brown rice.
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, garlic and jalapeno and sauté until onion is soft. Stir in beans, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Gradually stir in tomato sauce and heat through.
- Divide bean mixture and rice evenly among the warm tortillas; top with cheese and fold up, burrito style.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a relish tray of baby carrots, jicama sticks, cherry tomatoes and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans and tomato sauce are gluten free. Use gluten free tortillas. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 360 Calories; 6g Fat; 15g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 1079mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!