Sweet and Spicy Blueberry Basil Beef Skewers
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound beef roast trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic pressed and divided
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- Wooden toothpicks OR small skewers
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large zipper-topped plastic bag, combine salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and half of the pressed garlic; shake to combine ingredients. Add beef and shake well to coat.
- Thread beef cubes onto skewers and place on a lightly oiled metal rack or trivet inside a 9- x 13-inch baking dish; cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the desired level of doneness is reached.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine onion, remaining garlic, blueberries, vinegar (if using) and lemon juice
- Bring mixture to a low boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until berries are heated through and mixture has reduced to a compote.
- Stir in basil then bring to a low boil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide spinach equally on dinner plates; top with beef skewers and drizzle with a few tablespoons of blueberry/basil sauce.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve stir-fried zucchini and yellow squash on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add steamed baby carrots. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure balsamic vinegar (if using) is gluten-free. NUTRITION: per serving: 123 Calories; 5g Fat; 15g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 49mg Cholesterol; 423mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat. Points: 3
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!