Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Italian Chicken
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup baby spinach chopped
- 1 cup part-skim Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 6 tablespoons red onion minced
- 6 6-oz. boneless skinless chicken breast butterflied
- olive oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar optional
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, spinach, Mozzarella, Parmesan and onion; blend well then spread equal portions down the center of each chicken breast half and “fold” chicken back over the filling. Place stuffed chicken in a 9- x 13-inch lightly oiled baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato sauce, basil, oregano, garlic and vinegar (if desired); pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover baking dish with foil (making sure foil isn’t touching the sauce) and bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is done and juices run clear.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve stir-fried sliced zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties. KOSHER: Use soy cheese and Parmesan-flavored rice sprinkles. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce and balsamic vinegar (if using) are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 341 Calories; 10g Fat; 50g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 932mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 7 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!