Spicy Shrimp and Rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook brown rice. Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper then add to skillet and sauté until they turn bright pink; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium and add remaining oil. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, Herbes de Provence and crushed red pepper flakes; sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add cherry tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste; cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and shrimp; heat through. Remove skillet from heat and stir in cheese (if desired); serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad. VEGETARIAN: Skip the shrimp and use non-breaded faux chicken patties cut to the approximate size of shrimp. KOSHER: Skip the shrimp and use boneless skinless chicken breast meat cut to the approximate size of shrimp, adjusting cooking time as necessary. Skip the cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Herbes de Provence, tomato sauce, and tomato paste are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 274 Calories; 9g Fat; 26g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 173mg Cholesterol; 660mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!