Spicy Flank Steak with Onion Tomatillo Sauce
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic divided, 3 pressed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 pound flank steak trimmed and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tomatillos husked, washed, and scored
- 1 jalapeno halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- In a large zipper-topped plastic bag, combine chipotle chili powder, the pressed garlic, and the next 4 ingredients (salt through bell pepper); add beef strips, seal bag and shake well.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat; add steak strips and veggie mixture; cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, till beef strips are browned.
- In a small saucepan, combine the next 5 ingredients (broth through cilantro) and the remaining garlic; bring to a boil, cook for 5 minutes then carefully transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth; pour sauce over steak/veggie mixture in the skillet.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until beef strips have reached desired level of doneness. Serve immediately.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-Rice (see Day 2 directions); add a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice. Add buttered corn on the cob. KOSHER: Use kosher beef steak GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chipotle chili powder and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 261 Calories; 13g Fat; 26g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 57mg Cholesterol; 568mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!