Southwestern Pork Roast
- olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound pork shoulder roast
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 8 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- In a well-oiled slow cooker, place onion, crushed red pepper flakes and cumin; place pork roast on top.
- In a medium bowl, combine garlic, salsa, broth, black beans and jalapeno; blend well then pour over roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until pork roast pulls apart easily with a fork.
- Stir in cilantro then add spinach and stir just until wilted; serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some warm, buttered corn muffins. KOSHER: Substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for pork tenderloin. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, beans and salsa are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 192 Calories; 5g Fat; 20g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 652mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 4
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!