Smokey Flank Steak with Fresh Pico de Gallo
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic pressed, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 pound flank steak trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- In a large zipper-topped plastic bag, combine cumin, half of the garlic, the salt, pepper, and bell pepper. Add steak strips to the bag and shake well to coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat; add contents of bag and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until steak strips are browned.
- Add broth and water; bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until steak has reached desired level of doneness.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining garlic with tomato, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice and cilantro. Serve steak strips topped with Pico de Gallo as soon as they are cooked through
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of red leaf lettuce, sliced red onion, cucumber and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steak strips in warmed whole wheat flour tortillas. Add buttered corn on the cob. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 230 Calories; 11g Fat; 26g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 57mg Cholesterol; 565mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!