Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken with Kale
- 6 4-oz. boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 14.5-oz. cans crushed tomatoes drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño seeded
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped kale
- shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- low fat sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Place first 10 ingredients (chicken through chicken broth) in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours or until chicken is tender and can be easily shredded.
- In the end, stir in kale and cook until just wilted. Divide into bowls and top with any toppings you wish!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side; add some warm, buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Substitute 30 ounces black beans or kidney beans (drained and rinsed or homemade) for the chicken and cook on LOW for 7 hours or less, depending on your slow cooker. Use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Skip the dairy garnishes. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure crushed tomatoes, broth, and salsa are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 233 Calories; 3g Fat; 33g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 558mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 4 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!