Slow Cooker Fajita Chicken Stew
- 30 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño diced
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cubed*
- 12 whole wheat flour tortillas warmed
- Optional toppings:
- avocado diced
- sour cream
- Pepper Jack Cheese grated
- Combine all ingredients (except tortillas and garnishes) in a slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve wrapped in warmed tortillas garnished as desired.
- *LEANNE’S NOTE: Have chicken partially frozen for ease in cutting.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Replace chicken with an additional 15 ounces of black beans (drained and rinsed or homemade). Use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Skip the dairy garnishes. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans, salsa and broth are gluten free. Use gluten free tortillas. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 573 Calories; 8g Fat; 45g Protein; 80g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 1631mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat. Points: 14
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!