Slow Cooker Aromatic Chicken
- 30 ounces garbanzo beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 14.5-oz. can whole tomatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup eggplant chopped
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup plums chopped, pitted
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds optional
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch strips
- Place first 11 ingredients (garbanzo beans through anise seed) in a slow cooker; blend well.
- Place chicken strips on top of mixture.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is fork-tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Brown rice and steamed kale. VEGETARIAN: Replace chicken with kidney beans and use vegetable broth. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 335 Calories; 4g Fat; 35g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 560mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!