Shrimp and Pico Soup
- 1 tablespoon ghee or use coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper de-seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 small turnip peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- Melt the ghee (or coconut oil) in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery, jalapeno and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, turnip, spices (black pepper through paprika), and tomatoes.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until turnip is tender. Stir in shrimp and lime juice and cook for 8 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque.
- Serve topped with diced avocado and chopped cilantro.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of cherry tomatoes, cucumber spears and carrot, celery and jicama sticks. Add a salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion and avocado, tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. NUTRITION: per serving: 361 Calories; 14g Fat; 41g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 181mg Cholesterol; 2393mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!