Sausage and Kale Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 turnips peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces kale chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Remove sausage meat from casings, if necessary.
- In a large skillet over medium high-heat, cook and crumble sausage meat for about 1 minute. Add crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper, onion and garlic; continue to cook for 10 minutes or until sausage meat is cooked through and onion has become transparent; transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until turnips are tender (10 to 15 minutes). Serve and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. NUTRITION: per serving: 851 Calories; 68g Fat; 42g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 129mg Cholesterol; 2438mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 11 1/2 Fat. Points: 23
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!