Italian Turkey with Red Sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth divided
- 1/2 pound eggplant diced
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste optional - for thicker sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large stock pot, heat half of the broth over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (6 to 8 minutes) then, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining broth to the stock pot and reduce heat to medium.
- Add next 5 ingredients (onion through garlic); season with salt and pepper and continue to cook vegetables, stirring occasionally, until they have softened about 10 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste (if desired), oregano, basil, and eggplant.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick and eggplant is tender about 25 minutes.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Spaghetti Squash “Noodles” (cut squash in half lengthwise and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven until tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Scoop out seeds then, using a fork, scrape squash out of its shell in long, thin [spaghetti-like] strands). Add a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Angel Hair pasta instead of Spaghetti Squash “Noodles”. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste (if using) are gluten-free. NUTRITION: per serving: 199 Calories; 3g Fat; 30g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 63mg Cholesterol; 816mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!