Italian-Style Flounder with Red Sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup cauliflower chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli chopped
- 1/2 cup zucchini chopped
- 1/2 cup leeks chopped
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 7.25 ounces diced tomatoes drained
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste optional - for thicker sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 4-oz. flounder fillets
- Heat the broth in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat.
- Add next 7 ingredients (cauliflower through black pepper); cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste (if desired), basil and oregano.
- Bring mixture to a slow boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce reaches desired thickness. Add flounder fillets; cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Serve immediately.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Spaghetti Squash “Noodles” (cut squash in half lengthwise and place it on a lightly oiled baking sheet, cut sides down. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven until tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. Scoop out seeds then, using a fork, scrape squash from its shell in long, thin [spaghetti-like] strands. Add a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve Angel Hair pasta instead of Spaghetti Squash “Noodles”. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste (if using) are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 159 Calories; 2g Fat; 25g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 803mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 4
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!