Italian One-Dish Skillet Ham and Cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ham cubed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced eggplant
- 1/3 cup chopped zucchini
- 8 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; add ham and cook for 2 minutes or until warm and lightly browned.
- Add next 8 ingredients (oregano through eggplant) and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Add zucchini, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Bring mixture to a light boil and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in Ricotta cheese then top with shredded Mozzarella.
- Cover skillet, remove from heat and allow mixture to set for 5 minutes or until Mozzarella has melted. Serve immediately.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some garlic toast. KOSHER: Use chopped chicken thighs and skip the cheeses. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure ham, canned tomatoes, and tomato sauce are gluten-free. NUTRITION: per serving: 437 Calories; 20g Fat; 48g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 108mg Cholesterol; 3459mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 11
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!