Coconut Shrimp Chowder
- 2 tablespoons ghee or use coconut oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 large turnips peeled and cubed
- 2 14-oz. cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups fish stock or use low sodium chicken broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined
- Melt the ghee or coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic; sauté for about 5 minutes. Add turnips, coconut milk, fish stock (or chicken broth), salt, pepper, white pepper and thyme.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook for a few minutes, until turnips begin to soften.
- Add shrimp then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and allow chowder to sit for about 5 minutes; serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. NUTRITION: per serving: 912 Calories; 64g Fat; 53g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 378mg Cholesterol; 729mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 11 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 24
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!