Caramelized Onion Pork
- 1/4 cup ghee divided, or use coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Melt half of the ghee (or coconut oil) in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium-low and add honey; stir constantly for 3 minutes or until onion is transparent and wilted.
- Coat a large slow cooker with remaining ghee or coconut oil; add pork tenderloin and top with caramelized onions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients (garlic through vinegar); pour mixture over onions and pork.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baked butternut squash and shredded Brussels sprouts (cut large Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise then thinly slice, cut sides down; sauté in a little melted ghee or coconut oil over medium heat until tender; toss with salt, pepper and a dash of ground nutmeg). NUTRITION: per serving: 435 Calories; 20g Fat; 37g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 146mg Cholesterol; 1040mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 3 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 11
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!