California Veggie Pita Pockets
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 small tomato diced
- 1/3 cup shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 8 ounces garbanzo beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds optional
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoons low fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large whole wheat pita breads halved
- In a medium bowl, combine first 5 ingredients (red onion through garbanzo beans) fold in sunflower seeds, if desired; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, dill, yogurt, olive oil, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Divide prepared veggie/bean mixture into equal portions and spoon into pita halves; top each with a bit of yogurt-dill dressing.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, grape tomatoes and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans are gluten free. Use gluten free pita bread. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 262 Calories; 9g Fat; 9g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 456mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!