Cajun Veggie Rice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped eggplant
- 2 cups sliced portabella mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Prepare brown rice.
- Season eggplant and mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add eggplant and mushrooms; cook until vegetables are just becoming tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium and add remaining oil, onion, bell pepper, garlic, paprika, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper flakes; cook until onion is translucent.
- Add cherry tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in rice and heat through. Remove from heat and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce and tomato paste are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 201 Calories; 7g Fat; 5g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 617mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!