Teriyaki Steak Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak trimmed
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup white button mushrooms sliced
- 6 hoagie rolls halved lengthwise and lightly toasted
- 3/4 cup part-skim Mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate flank steak for at least 30 minutes (see recipe). In a medium bowl, whisk together first 7 ingredients (soy sauce through black pepper). Place steak in a large zipper-topped plastic bag and pour soy sauce mixture on top; seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat outdoor or indoor grill to MEDIUM-HIGH. Grill marinated steak for 5 to 8 minutes per side, depending on thickness and desired level of doneness; remove from grill and set aside to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Coat a large skillet with a little olive oil over medium heat; add onion, bell pepper and mushrooms and cook until onions are translucent, bell pepper is tender-crisp and mushrooms are just cooked through (5 to 7 minutes).
- Thinly slice steak across the grain (diagonally) and serve in hoagies evenly sprinkled with Mozzarella. Top with sautéed vegetables and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big bowl of coleslaw on the side (use a ready-made mix and toss with low fat mayo and a little rice vinegar). VEGETARIAN: Eliminate the white button mushrooms from the recipe and grill some portabella mushrooms in place of flank steak. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher and use soy cheese or skip. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure soy sauce is gluten free. Use gluten free rolls. NUTRITION: Per serving: 501 Calories; 16g Fat; 36g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 64mg Cholesterol; 1372mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 13
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!