Sweet and Tangy Cherry Baked Turkey Strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 pound boneless skinless turkey breast cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 pound black cherries pitted and chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Add turkey, cherries, broth, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar; blend well.
- Bring mixture to a slow boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully remove skillet lid and stir in basil; cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a cup, combine cornstarch and water; stir into sauce and cook just until thickened. Serve immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baked butternut squash and steamed broccoli spears. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties instead of turkey. Use vegetable broth. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chicken broth and vinegar are gluten free. Use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch NUTRITION: Per Serving: 159 Calories; 3g Fat; 20g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 84mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 4
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!