Summer Squash Cakes with Avocado-Coconut Cream
- 1 small zucchini grated
- 1 small yellow squash grated
- 1 small carrot peeled and grated
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large avocado pitted and scooped out
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 medium lime zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- In a large bowl, mix together first 9 ingredients (zucchini through cilantro);
- add 1 1/4 teaspoons of the salt and 3/4 teaspoon of the pepper; set this batter aside. In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium-low heat.
- To form squash cakes, scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet (per cake), making sure the pan isn’t crowded.
- Cook squash cakes until edges are slightly crisp (2 to 3 minutes) then turn and cook until cakes are no longer doughy in the center (another 2 or more minutes).
- Remove squash cakes from the skillet and place them on 4 breakfast plates.
- In a medium bowl, smash together the avocado, coconut cream, lime zest, and lime juice along with the remaining salt and the remaining pepper.
- Serve a dollop of this Avocado-Coconut Cream on top of each squash cake and sprinkle with chopped chives.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!