Southwestern Slow Cooker Pork with Black Beans
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder roast trimmed of any fat
- 6 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 45 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup salsa plus optional garnish
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 6-inch whole wheat flour tortillas warmed
- Rub roast with garlic, salt and pepper and place it in a lightly oiled slow cooker.
- Add next 7 ingredients (broth through cumin); blend well. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until pork pulls apart easily. Remove pork from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks; return to slow cooker and blend with juices.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine lime juice and cornstarch; add to slow cooker juices then raise heat control to HIGH; cook until thickened then stir in cilantro.
- Serve immediately in tortillas with extra salsa and any other toppings of your choice.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a big salad. VEGETARIAN: Instead of pork, add 15 ounces of kidney beans (drained and rinsed or homemade) and 1 cup of cooked brown rice. KOSHER: Use a kosher beef roast instead of pork. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, beans and salsa are gluten free. Use gluten free tortillas and use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 667 Calories; 22g Fat; 35g Protein; 82g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber; 60mg Cholesterol; 1747mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat. Points: 16
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!