Sausage Polenta with Nestled Eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking polenta mix
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican-style four-cheese blend
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chilis
- 4 ounces pork sausage
- 1 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro optional
- Bottled hot pepper sauce optional
- In a large saucepan, bring vegetable broth to boiling. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together milk and polenta. Add polenta mixture in a slow, steady stream to vegetable broth, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir until bubbly; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes more until polenta is thickened. Stir in cheese and diced green chilies until well mixed; set aside.
- In an extra-large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat until meat browns and onion is tender. Drain and discard liquid. Stir in polenta mixture until well mixed.
- In a coated 2 quart au gratin dish, spread polenta-meat mixture. Cover baking dish with a sheet of greased or nonstick foil; store overnight in the refrigerator.
- While oven preheats to 375° , use the bottom of a 1/3-cup measuring cup coated with olive oil to make four indentations in the polenta mixture. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°. Remove baking dish from oven; remove foil. Break one egg into a small dish. Carefully slide the egg into an indentation. Repeat with remaining eggs. Return to oven.
- Bake, uncovered, in the 325° oven for 20 minutes more or until the eggs are almost set. Let stand on wire rack 5 to 10 minutes (eggs will continue to cook). If desired, season with salt and pepper, snipped cilantro and serve with hot pepper sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!