Quick and Easy Black Bean Burgers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon diced green chilis
- 30 ounces black beans rinsed and drained or homemade
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 6 whole wheat burger buns split and lightly toasted
- 3/4 cup salsa Verde optional
- low fat sour cream optional
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and green chilies; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until soft. Add black beans and broth; reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse until almost smooth, but still having a bit of texture. Shape mixture into burgers, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet and add bean burgers; cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute per side or until lightly browned.
- Serve on buns with salsa verde and sour cream, if desired.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of baby carrots, cucumber spears, cherry tomatoes and whole black olives. Add some Russet Fries (scrub russet potatoes then cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, till tender. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans, chilies, broth and salsa verde (if using) are gluten free. Use gluten free burger buns. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 318 Calories; 8g Fat; 14g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 638mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!