- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil for coating skillet
- maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients (the all-purpose flour through salt).
- In another bowl, beat together the buttermilk, oil, vanilla and egg. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture, stirring just enough to make a creamy batter with some lumps.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Pour about 1/4 cup batter into the hot skillet, spreading batter if necessary. For dollar-size pancakes, use about 1 tablespoon batter.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to the second side when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry.
- If desired, serve with warm maple syrup.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!