- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion diced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 cup canned black beans drained, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 large tomato seeded and diced
- 1 small avocado cubed
- hot sauce optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers for 8 minutes or until onions are softened and peppers are slightly charred.
- Add black beans and red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites; stir in cheese.
- Recoat the skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil and reheat the skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add eggs, scrambling for 3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon each sour cream and salsa, then layer with 1/4 of the black bean mixture, 1/4 of the scrambled eggs, some diced tomato and 1/4 of the avocado.
- Season, to taste, with hot sauce. Roll up burrito-style and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!