Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 1 large whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- In a large crock cooker, place onions, sweet potatoes and celery.
- Using your fingers, loosen the skin from the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine next 7 ingredients (coconut oil through lemon zest); rub mixture evenly under the skin of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables then pour the broth over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is fall-apart tender.
- Remove chicken from crock cooker; set aside to cool then remove the meat from the bones.
- Replace the meat in the crock cooker; stir and serve with vegetables.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Shredded Brussels sprouts - Cut large Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise then thinly slice, cut sides down. Melt ghee and olive oil together in a skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts; cook and stir until tender. Toss with salt, pepper and a dash of ground nutmeg. NUTRITION: 684 Calories; 42g Fat (56.8% calories from fat); 52g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 235mg Cholesterol; 340mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 7 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!